Friday, April 17, 2009

Age takes it's toll

Ok, I know we all get older and things change. As I started my new fitness program, I knew that I was going to be working on things that had been neglected for the last 10 years. I was never a particularly fit person. I have been somewhat overweight ever since college. Even in college I was always battling my weight to stay in R.O.T.C. Once I was completely out of the National Guard, I let myself go. I never felt really out of shape, I just knew that I wasn't in the best shape possible. I figured I was about 20-25 pounds overweight and that was about it.

As I started to get in shape, I realized that I was about 50 pounds overweight and very out of shape. So I started watching my diet and working out. Push ups, sit ups, running, and then the pain....sore muscles, and the exhaustion. I kept pushing myself and could see the pounds start to come off. I was feeling good about myself...that's probably the best side effect you can get.... Then it happened. I woke up and my hip was in excruciating pain. No running for a couple days.

When I was younger, I might have taken one day off and been fine. Now it was more like 2 or 3. Then I started again once the pain was gone. Well not gone, but seriously deminished. Big mistake... After 3 runs, I was hurting again... and worse this time. Now It's been about a week and I couldn't run, could barely walk, and no sit-ups or Push-ups. The only thing to do was continue to watch my diet. And that is a constant battle. Counting calories, watching fat calories, and the biggest thing I found is to watch that I'm getting enough vitamins and minerals and keeping hydrated as well.

Besides the sore hip, I also was dealing with some back spasms that felt like a knife going through my back. I know that these symptoms are truly only muscle rebelion, but I have to wait till they calm down before I can push them some more. Meanwhile, My progress so far, I have lost about 12-14 pounds and about 1-1/2 inches from my abdomin. That's not too bad for only about 3 weeks. I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment