Thursday, April 30, 2009

Banana Blueberry, Coconut and Toasted

Banana Blueberry, Coconut and Toasted
I saw this recipe on one of my favorite food blogs, Noble Pig, and knew I had to make it. The recipe was originally posted by Leslie, The Hungry Housewife. I had extra ripe bananas that needed to be used and a handful of fresh blueberries left in the refrigerator. I also had just a bit of vanilla yogurt that I didn't want to go to waste, so this was the PERFECT recipe for me. The original recipe called for buttermilk but I replaced it with vanilla yogurt. I also halved the recipe because I only had 2 bananas. My kids baked this loaf with me and we had such a fun time together. My daughter even cracked her first egg (actually two eggs, the first one landed on the floor). It was an easy and kid friendly recipe to make.

I love anything with coconut so I knew this would be tasty but it was better than that - it was EXCELLENT! We all loved it and devoured over half of it when it was fresh from the oven. My kids had some with their breakfast and asked for more at snack time. I love the sweet coconut, juicy berries and crunchy toasted walnuts. This is my new favorite banana bread - perfect with a glass of ice cold milk. Thanks for the great recipe Cathy and Leslie.
  • 1/4 cup softened butter
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1 egg
  • 1 large very ripe bananas
  • 5 tbsp + 1 tsp vanilla yogurt (I used non fat)
  • 1/2 cup toasted walnuts
  • 1/2 tbsp vanilla
  • 1/2 cup shredded coconut
  • 1/2 cup blueberries (divided)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a loaf pan with cooking spray. Cream together the butter and sugar with a mixer. Add the egg mixing thoroughly. In a separate bowl whisk together flour, salt, baking powder and the baking soda. Slowly add the dry ingredients into the butter mixture, alternating with the yogurt - make sure to start with flour and end with flour.

Place the walnuts in a dry skillet over medium heat and cook for a 3-4 minutes, tossing frequently. Set aside and cool. Mash the bananas very well with a fork. Gently add the smashed bananas, vanilla, toasted nuts and coconut into the batter then carefully stir until combined. Fold in blueberries, reserving a few for the top of the loaf. Pour the batter into the bread pan then sprinkle the remaining blueberries on top. 

Bake for 45-50 minutes or until tester comes out of the center of the loaf clean. Let cool in the pan for a few minutes before transferring to a rack. Let cool for at least 5 minutes before slicing. Serve warm with butter. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment